Are You Using Too Much Skincare?
Is there such a thing as using too much skincare?
To put it simply, yes!
While you need a range of products to perform a number of different skincare solutions, there is such a thing as having too many of those products.
So, how do you know if you are using too much skincare and what do you actually need to use each day?
Read on to find the answers to these very important questions!
Signs You Are Using Too Much Skincare
ALL The Products
Is your bathroom shelf or cabinet bursting at the seams with all the bottles and tubes of skincare products that you own? Well, that’s probably a sign that you have too many. Especially if you have some pushed to the back that barely see the light of day, or you only use them when you remember they are there!
Another sign you may be indulging in too many skincare products is the transaction lines on your bank statement. If you are constantly buying new products before using the ones you have then you are accumulating too many!
Is your skin feeling irritated? If you are experiencing redness, burning or stinging sensations, or itching then you could be using too much skincare.
This irritation can be caused by inundating your skin with too many active ingredients, a build up of product due to the sheer volume you are applying, or the harsh chemicals in certain products having frequent contact with your skin.
Does your skin feel more sensitive than usual? Does it feel tight or even more warm to the touch? Or maybe it is negatively reacting to a product that you used to apply with no issues? These could all be signs of skincare overuse.
This overuse can compromise your skin’s natural protective barrier, leaving it more sensitive. This is something you should be mindful of if you are using a number of products to target certain skin conditions. Overuse of these products can actually make your skin conditions worse. If you notice this happening, you know it is time to simplify your routine.
When a skincare product has strong ingredients or you are simply using your usual products more than recommended, it can strip the skin of its natural oils. This creates dryness, itchiness, and greater sensitivity. Often, the tendency is to apply more skincare to fix your dry skin, but this only adds to the problem, perpetuating the cycle.
Yep, the other extreme can happen too! When you have oily skin, clearly you will choose products to combat the oiliness. However, using too many oil-controlling products can strip your skin of its essential natural oils. Then, it will go into hyperdrive, producing more oil to compensate. Ironically, the end result could be super oily skin - the thing you were trying to prevent in the first place!
Skin breakouts are often a sign that something is not quite right with your body. While stress, hormones and food can all contribute towards breakouts, so can excessive skincare use. Loading your skin with products can lead to clogged pores, irritation, and more frequent breakouts.
Keep an eye out for places where it looks like product is building up on your skin as that makes it hard for your skin to breathe or absorb essential skincare ingredients.
How Much Skincare Do You Need?
If using too much skincare is a risk, how much is too much? What level of skincare should you actually be using to keep your skin healthy and glowing?
Well, the exact answer will depend on whether you have any specific skin concerns that need addressing. But, as a general rule, your skincare routine can be limited to a handful of products. And if you choose the right products, this amount will be perfect for any skin type.
These are the essentials:
- Cleanser: Designed to remove dirt, makeup and skin impurities, using a quality cleanser in the morning and at night will keep your skin clean and fresh.
- Moisturiser: A good moisturiser will hydrate your skin, locking in moisture and helping to protect your skin’s natural barrier. Make sure to consider your skin type when selecting.
- Sunscreen: Protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays, sunscreen is a crucial part of your daily skincare routine. Apply it in the morning, then reapply throughout the day.
- Face Masks: A mini facial in a packet, sheet face masks will rehydrate your skin and provide anti-inflammatory, collagen stimulating, and skin softening solutions.
- Repair Gels: Lighten, brighten and even out your skin tone with an ultra-hydrating repair gel. Depending on your skin’s needs, you can use these gels daily or a couple of times a week.
As Needed Products
- Spot Treatment: Great for addressing breakouts, spot treatment can be used when needed to inhibit acne-causing bacteria and to minimise further breakouts.
- Exfoliant: Use an exfoliant to polish away dead skin cells all over your body, revealing fresh, glowing skin and stimulating blood flow for natural collagen production.
Help Your Skin To Glow
Part of getting the most out of your skincare is choosing the right range of products. Here at Summer + Bloom, we have worked tirelessly to create natural formulations made with organic ingredients that do the job they are meant to do.
Shop our range now and explore our daily skincare solutions, as well as all the solution specific products that your skin needs to stay healthy and hydrated all year round.
Browse the range now.