How To Choose The Right Skincare For You
Choices can be hard.
Should I get out of bed to go for a run or pull the covers back over my head? Will I cook the chicken that's in the fridge or grab something to eat on the way home from work?
Or the most important choice of all…
My phone is ringing, should I answer it or wait for whoever it is to message me instead?
Every day we make a heap of decisions, so it’s no wonder that we can start to feel overwhelmed when there are a lot of options to select between.
It can feel like there is nothing more overwhelming than selecting skincare products. There are so many to choose from and it can be hard to know what you actually need.
Luckily, we’ve got you covered with a simple and straightforward breakdown of which varieties do what so that you can see what you need.
How To Choose The Right Skincare For You
Big Brand Or Small Business?
There are plenty of big businesses that produce skincare. You may be tempted to purchase from them as it is a well known brand that you trust. While there is nothing necessarily wrong with their products, there are a few things to be mindful of.
Big brands mass produce their products. That means, they need to include plenty of preservatives to keep the shelf life long. Unfortunately, preservatives are often synthetic and chemical laden. They also cater for the most common skin types so that the larger production volumes sell through. If you have more of a unique or sensitive skin type, these products might not suit you.
However, if you choose to buy from a small batch producer like summer + bloom, you enjoy our natural ingredient list and products that are produced in smaller quantities. They are fresher, with less chemicals and do exactly what the label says they do!
Should you choose natural skincare over other products on the market? Well, there are plenty of benefits to using natural skincare, they are:
Packed full of essential nutrients
- They are often produced sustainably, so are better for the environment
- They’re not tested on animals
- You know exactly what is in them
- Some are even Vegan-friendly, like our summer + bloom range
What Does Each Skincare Variety Do?
Here’s a quick breakdown of what you should use each product for:
Usually the first cab off the rank in a skincare routine, cleanser is a cream designed to remove pollutants from your skin. That includes things like grime, dead skin cells, oil and traces of makeup. It helps to keep your pores clear so can reduce the risk of pimples and other skin conditions.
In a regular skincare routine, cleanser is used first so that you then have a clean slate to work with.
Here are the products in our cleanser range:
- Cleanse Me - Your Everyday Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- Stay Clear - Foaming Cleanser (Acne Prone Skin)
Toner is a liquid product that has a dual role. Firstly, it gets rid of any impurities left behind by your cleanser and secondly, it hydrates, soothes and primes your skin to fully absorb any moisturiser you apply.
Used after cleanser, it prepares your skin for the next skincare steps.
Here are the products in our toner range:
A moisturiser is a cream that hydrates the surface layers of your skin. It can prevent your skin from drying out by locking in moisture and nutrients or rescue dry skin by inserting those same nutrients back in. It also acts as a low key barrier against external irritants.
Moisturiser is usually applied last in your daily skincare routine.
Here are the products in our moisturiser range:
- Day Dew - Your Everyday Hydrating Moisturiser
- Relieve It - Intensive Relief for Dry Skin, Eczema and Dermatitis
- Derma Boost - Your Anytime Tightening, Firming and Plumping Moisturiser
Repair products target a certain element of skin repair such as intense hydration, spot treatment or rejuvenation. These products are not usually part of your everyday routine, but used weekly or when a skin issue flares up.
Here are the products in our repair range:
- Sola Drops - Vitamin C Intense Repair Gel
- Bounce Back - Intensive Skin Hydration and Repair Gel
- Superbloom - Hydrating and Plumping Sheet Mask
- Stay Clear - Rescue Gel (Acne and Spot Treatment)
Choosing The Right Skincare For You
Now comes the part where it’s time to choose your skincare. To make that decision an easy one, we’d love to share why Summer + Bloom is the right choice for you.
We have all the daily essential and repair products you could need
- Our range is affordable
- It does what it says on the packet
- Our products are trialled on real humans to ensure they work
- You can get it delivered to your door or shop with one of our stockists
- Made right here in NZ, you are supporting a local brand
- Crafted from quality, natural and vegan-friendly ingredients
- Packaged in responsibly sourced materials
We also make the choice of what to buy really simple. Browse our range online, or shop for our discounted bundled products for an easy solution.