The Ultimate Shower Routine To Protect Your Skin
A hot shower can feel like such a luxury - a blissful moment of rejuvenation in a busy day.
Not only a time to cleanse your body, it can also be a time to indulge in a bit of self care.
But, did you know that the way you approach your shower routine can significantly impact the health and appearance of your skin?
A bad shower routine can leave your skin feeling dry and irritated.
So, we’ve been working hard on assembling the ultimate shower routine so that you can protect your skin. Here’s how to do it…
The Ultimate Shower Routine To Protect Your Skin
The Dangers Of A Hot Shower
There is nothing nicer than the feeling of stepping into a hot shower on a cold day. As the warm water bounces off your skin, you instantly feel soothed and relaxed. But unfortunately, there can be a downside to those warming showers. Prolonged exposure to hot water can have a negative effect on your skin.
Here’s what it can do:
- Dry your skin out: Now, it might seem counterintuitive to think of a shower drying your skin out when the water that falls makes you wet! But, hot water is known to strip away the natural oils from your skin, leaving it dry and dehydrated. It can lead to itchy, flaky skin and a dull complexion.
- Irritate your skin: Hot water can also have an irritating effect on your skin. This is especially true if you have sensitive skin. It can exacerbate conditions like eczema, rosacea and psoriasis, even making them worse.
- Create redness: Ever wondered why your cheeks are flaming after stepping out of a hot shower? Well, it’s because hot water can dilate the blood vessels in your skin, leading to increased redness. This is particularly true if you already have a tendency for flushed or sensitive skin.
- Increasing breakouts: So, you already have to watch out for hot showers making your skin dry, but ironically, they can also tip things to the other end of the spectrum and potentially trigger or worsen breakouts. The heat and steam can increase your skin’s oil production and clog your pores - the main offenders for a breakout!
Of course, everyone will have individual reactions to hot water and the impact may vary depending on your skin. That’s why, you need to have the ultimate shower routine lined up so that you step out of the bathroom with hydrated and glowing skin.
The Ultimate Shower Routine
Have Your Plan Set Out
Dunno about you, but it feels super easy to get distracted in the shower. There is something about the power of the water stream that triggers daydreams and intense thinking sessions! So, to negate the potential for forgetfulness, line up exactly which products you are going to use in your routine and organise them in the order you are going to need them.
Rather than turning up the heat and flaying your skin, we recommend using lukewarm water for your showers and baths. That’s because water at a lukewarm temperature helps to preserve the natural oils and moisture of your skin without causing excessive dryness or irritation.
So, when you are hopping in the shower, don’t have that dial set to max temperature!
Don’t Draw It Out
The longer you are in there, the more dangerous it can be for your skin. As we mentioned above, prolonged exposure to the water can strip away your skin’s natural oils and create dryness. So, keep your showers short, ideally around 5-10 minutes. Having your routine in place will help you crack through everything that needs to be done during this time.
As we already know the shower water has the potential to dry your skin, you don’t want to amplify that result by using a harsh cleanser. Some soaps and cleansers contain ingredients that further dry your skin, so be mindful of the product you choose.
For your face, we recommend a rich, gel-like cleanser such as our Cleanse Me product. It is designed to cleanse away the dirt from your skin and unblock clogged pores, while nourishing and soothing your skin. It is suitable for all skin types (including sensitive or oily skin), leaving your skin feeling calm, fresh and clean!
To use it, wet your skin and apply the cleanser to your face, rubbing in a gentle circular motion to clean without being too harsh. Then, simply rinse it away with the shower water, using the same circular motions with your hands.
Don’t Scrub Too Much
You want to make sure you are gentle with your skin, treating it with care and respect. Excessive scrubbing is going to mess with the natural balance and oil production. That’s why you should also be mindful of exfoliation.
While exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells and can promote a smoother complexion, over exfoliating can cause irritation. Unless necessary, we would recommend not using exfoliating products on your face. Using a warm washcloth while wiping away your cleanser can do the job.
For all other areas of the body, we recommend Salt Skin, a gentle exfoliator that polishes away dead skin cells to reveal fresh, glowing skin all over your body while stimulating blood flow to help promote collagen production.
After stepping out of the shower, pat your skin dry with a clean towel. Then, apply moisturiser immediately. This will help to prevent your skin from becoming dry and reverse any dehydrating effects caused by the shower’s water.
Make sure you choose a good quality moisturiser that suits your skin type and is free from irritants. Consider your skin’s needs when selecting your moisturiser. We recommend some of these choices:
- Day Dew: An everyday hydrating moisturiser that is suitable for every age or stage, giving your skin a smooth, dewy and youthful appearance.
- Derma Boost: An anytime tightening, firming and plumping moisturiser that is designed to prevent and repair fine lines and wrinkles.
- Relieve It: An intensive relief moisturiser designed to help relieve the symptoms associated with dry skin, Eczema, Dermatitis and Psoriasis.
Protect Your Skin
If you are showering in the morning, think about what you are going to do for the rest of the day and protect your skin accordingly. If the weather is warm make sure you apply sunscreen to protect from the sun’s damaging UV rays. And if it is chilly and windy, consider a scarf to protect your neck and face. And a raincoat or umbrella never hurts on rainy days!
Shower Supply Shopping
Ready to make the most of your time in the shower to rejuvenate your skin (while still enjoying the soothing benefits of the hot water)? Then, you need some great skincare products to help you do it.
Head on over to shop our range of cleansers and moisturisers now.