How To Deal With A Skin Break Out or Pimple
Oh no! The dreaded skin breakout!
They happen to everyone and feel like they can strike at any time.
But, what actually causes pimples? And how can you deal with one once it appears?
These are the exact questions we are exploring in this article. Read on to find out all about skin breakouts, what to do if you get one and how to prevent them from occurring regularly.
How To Deal With A Skin Breakout Or Pimple
What Causes Pimples?
While it sometimes seems like the thought of a big work meeting or the prospect of a hot date triggers pimples to appear, there are actually far more logical reasons.
Skin breakouts and pimples can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
Yep, bloody hormones strike again! Hormonal fluctuations during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy and menopause can cause an increase in oil production. This can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. So it seems, unfortunately, you could be prone to breakouts at every stage of life.
Some people are more prone to breakouts than others thanks to their genetics. While there is no specific acne producing gene, certain genetic factors can be a pain. For example, your immune system might react differently to bacteria, meaning you get painful breakouts rather than small blackheads. Or, your dead skin cells may not shed the same way as others, resulting in clogged pores and pimples. Knowing how your body operates can help combat skin issues.
When the hair follicles on your skin become clogged with oil and dead skin cells, it creates an ideal environment for bacteria to grow, leading to inflammation and breakouts. Having a good skincare routine can help to combat bacteria buildup. We recommend daily use of the Bloomer Starter Bundle or the Keep It Clear bundle for keeping your skin clean and hydrated.
Exposure to pollutants, humidity, and sweating can all contribute to breakouts. Pollutants are a natural part of life and you can’t fully avoid them, but keeping your skin clean can help to negate the effects of them.
Perhaps the reason those pesky pimples pop out on big occasions is because of stress. Stress can increase the occurrence of the hormones that stimulate oil production, sometimes leading to clogged pores and breakouts. Being mindful of this can help you to take steps to mitigate the stress in your life.
Certain makeup products can clog the pores and cause breakouts. This is particularly true if you forget to remove your makeup before you go to bed. Choosing more natural makeup products can help or selecting ones you know are friendly to your skin. And ALWAYS remove your makeup at the end of the day.
How To Deal With A Pimple
Oh no! You’ve just looked in the mirror and spotted a spot! A pimple is threatening to break through. Here’s what you can do:
- Clean the affected area: Use a gentle cleanser and warm water to wash the area around the pimple. This will remove any oil, dirt or bacteria on your skin. We recommend Cleanse Me - Your Everyday Hydrating Facial Cleanser for the job! Or if you are prone to skin breakouts, Stay Clear - Foaming Cleanser is a good option.
- Apply a warm compress: Soak a clean cloth in warm water and apply it to the breakout for a few minutes. This can help to soften the skin and bring the pimple to a head sooner.
- DON’T POP THE PIMPLE!: This is probably the best piece of advice we can give. Popping the pimple can introduce more bacteria and lead to scarring. It is better to wait for the spot to come to a head on its own.
- Apply a spot treatment: A treatment like Stay Clear - Rescue Gel applies concentrated pimple-busting efforts to a targeted area. It soothes and calms the affected skin and inhibits acne-causing bacteria, reducing inflammation and dealing with the spot effectively. You can apply this particular treatment twice a day.
- Hands off!: It is really tempting to check on the pimple’s progress by touching it. This is a bad idea because you could introduce more bacteria or oil to the area. Instead, keep the area clean and avoid touching it!
- Give it time: Pimples can take up to a week to heal completely, so be patient and resist the urge to pop or pick at your breakout. Just keep going with your good hygiene habits.
Preventing Future Skin Breakouts
Once you’ve dealt with one pimple, you don’t want to have to make it a regular occurrence! So, here are some steps you can take to prevent future skin breakouts:
- Keep it clean: Create a regular skincare routine that will keep your face feeling clean and fresh. Wash with a cleanser daily to remove excess oil, dirt and sweat, utilise a toner to unclog pores, then use a gentle moisturiser to keep your skin hydrated. We recommend daily use of the Keep It Clear bundle.
- Don’t touch!: Your hands can transfer bacteria and oils to your skin. So, avoid touching your face as much as possible.
- Choose the right products: Some skincare products can make breakouts worse. Make sure you choose natural products that won’t clog your pores. Our Summer + Bloom range is made with healthy skin in mind. All of our products naturally hydrate and rejuvenate your skin, keeping it clean and fresh. Shop our range now.
- Use spot treatments: If you do experience a breakout, a spot treatment can do wonders to help that pimple heal as quickly as possible. Stay Clear - Rescue Gel will help to unclog pores and reduce inflammation for effective pimple recovery.
- Consider visiting a dermatologist: If you are experiencing repeated or severe skin breakouts then it may be helpful to visit a dermatologist to establish the underlying cause and get a personalised treatment plan.
Choosing The Right Skincare
Skincare can have a huge impact on the health of your skin, so it is important to choose the right products for you. Here at Summer + Bloom, all of our products are made with skin health in mind. Vegan friendly and full of natural ingredients, our products are gentle and hydrating.
We have even formulated a range that is specifically for acne prone skin. Check out the Keep Clear Acne Range here and all our other products here.